This page provides step-by-step instructions for amending or changing a signed and fully executed procurement contract. Change reasons may include, changing the start or end dates of the contract, an increase or decrease to the scope of work, or a reasonably unanticipated price increase in the underlying materials needed to complete the work.
If the department needs to change the terms of a contract before its termination or decides to request an agreement renewal, they need to submit a Request to Amend or Change an Existing Agreement in the SmartMart Contracts system.
Before You Start
- Transactions that do not require a contract signed by Procurement Services or a signed amendment (such as a PTA change) typically follow the Purchase Order process or are purchased through other methods. To change a Purchase Order without a contract, see: How To: Change a Standard Non-Catalog Purchase Order.
- As needed, review the demo for Submitting a Contract Request in the SmartMart Contracts System: Learning Supplements.
- For changes that need to be made to a Contract that is within the SmartMart Contracts system but not fully executed, utilize the contracts system to communicate changes with the Contract Advisor. See How to: Use Message Tools Within SmartMart Contracts.
- Select SU Internet Procurement
- Select SmartMart Catalog Supplier & Contracts
- Hover over the Award Icon on the far left
- Hover over Requests at the bottom of the first column
- Click on Request Contracts in the next column
- Enter Contract Request Name (*Required)
- Select a Contract Request Template (*Required). Options include:
- A New Contract
- Amend / Change a Contract
- Select Amend / Change a Contract
- Enter Contract information for all tabs. See: How to Submit a Contract
- On the Questions tab, in the Basic Information about the Original Contract section:
- Select the Type of Contract
- Select the Sections of the Contract that you would like to change
- Enter existing Purchase Order Information
- Enter details regarding required changes in Description of Change *
- Answer all additional required questions
Communicate with your Contract Advisor regarding adding funds to an existing contract. There may be circumstances when an iProcurement Change Order is acceptable in lieu of a full contract amendment. The Contract Advisor can direct you on your next actions. See: How to Use Message Tools Within SmartMart Contracts.
- Once the purchase requisition has been financially approved and the PO is in “Requires Reapproval" Status, the Contracts team will review the file, assemble the appropriate final document for signature, and route to all appropriate parties to e-sign on behalf of the supplier and the university. You will receive a system generated email when the contract amendment has completed workflow and has been signed by all parties. Your department can now begin to schedule work under the amendment and invoices can now be uploaded to the associated PO in Oracle for payment.
- Ending the Contract: Most Stanford contracts are set to automatically terminate based upon the date executed in the contract. If a department wishes to terminate a contract early, please contact the assigned contract advisor in the SmartMart Contracts system for assistance in terminating early. See How To: Use Message Tools Within SmartMart Contracts.
Existing Purchase Orders requiring a Contract:NOTE: When a request for a signed contract is received after creating a Purchase Order, follow the instructions for “How to Submit a Contract Request” to request a New Contract and add these steps below: While requesting a new Contract for the existing Purchase Order:
- Add the contract/document needing signatures to the “Attachments” page
- In the "Notes to the Contracts Team" include, “This was issued as PO _________ (add PO number) but now needs signature on the attached document”
- In the question, "Is this a Monetary Contract?" say "NO" to prevent the system from creating an additional funding requisition.
- Fill in all other Required fields
- Submit for Approval
The contracts team will then review, adjust anything in the contract that is not aligned with university policy, and send the agreement for signature. You will receive an email from the system when the contract is fully executed.