Key Travel is one of several booking options within the Stanford Travel Program. Key Travel specializes in academic travel and offers a designated team of travel agents to assist with complex trips and to provide Fly America Act guidance for travelers booking federally funded flights. Other booking channels included in the Stanford Travel Program may be more appropriate for the travel need.
Key Travel is the world’s largest travel management company specializing in the humanitarian and academic sectors. In addition to Stanford-negotiated rates, Key Travel offers flexible academic international airfares that are exclusive to university travelers. A unique feature is the ability to book multiple travelers (e.g., family members) on the same reservation online or with a travel agent.
When to Use Key Travel
It is highly encouraged that Stanford travelers use Stanford Travel Program booking channels when booking flights, hotels, and rental cars for university-sponsored travel. Stanford Travel booking channels automatically register itineraries and any booking updates to the Travel Registry, streamline the reimbursement process, and offer discounts, benefits, and perks to travelers. In addition, the Stanford Travel team can provide specialized assistance as needed to travelers who book through Stanford Travel.
While Stanford Travel booking channels are a great option for most domestic and international travel, there are certain types of travel that need to be booked directly with the airline or hotel. These may include regional air travel offered by local carriers, travel for field research, ticket exchanges or reissues, or certain group reservations. See the Airfare and Lodging pages for more detail on booking and managing those travel arrangements. For information on the booking processes for various types of travelers, see Topic Overview: Travel Process.
For more information about business and travel policies see the Topic Overview: Business and Travel Expense Policies.
Key Travel Features and Benefits
- Book online or with an experienced travel agent.
- Book multiple travelers on the same reservation online or with an agent.
- Provides Fly America Act guidance online or with an agent.
- Provides exclusive flexible academic rates for international airfare.
- Search for the “greenest” flight options using sustainable travel solutions.
- Pay with a Stanford Travel Card (preferred) or personal credit card.
- Arrange travel on behalf of other faculty, staff or visitors.
- Earn applicable supplier loyalty points and eligible benefits.
- Reservations are sent to International SOS for traveler assistance in the event of an international incident.
Transaction Preparers: When completing a travel expense report, be sure to select "Stanford Travel – FCM/Key" as the booking method.
All active Stanford faculty, staff, students, and postdoctoral scholars have Key Travel profiles. To access your profile, log into Key Travel Online. Click on the purple my KT icon and select Profile Manager.
- Request a Key Travel Profile.
- After the profile has been created, log in to Key Travel with your SUNet ID and password.
Maintaining Your Travel Profile
- Review your profile to ensure your name is an exact match to your government ID. Learn how to change your travel profile name.
- Add your cell phone number. (If based in the US, international code is +1)
- Add your frequent flyer and loyalty numbers.
- Add your known traveler number (TSA PreCheck or Global Entry) if you have one.
- Add your passport details, if available.
Visit Manage your Profile in Key Travel for additional instructions
Individuals Booking Online
The Key Travel Online booking tool is only recommended for booking multiple travelers (up to 4 individuals) on the same reservation or booking federally-funded travel.
Guest names and pertinent information can be added in the booking path. Even though there is an option to “Create a Traveler Profile,” for privacy purposes, do not save any guest or companion information as a profile.
Key Travel’s online booking tool will flag flights that do not qualify for the Fly America Act or the Open Skies Agreement.
Service fees may apply when booking travel online.
Booking Travel with an Agent
For agent assistance with individual, or multi-person travel, contact Key Travel:
- By phone: call 1-646-289-6816, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- By email: contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Service fees may apply when booking travel with an agent.
Group and Program Travel
Key Travel can provide support when booking travel for large groups and programs. Reach out to a Key Travel representative for assistance at email@example.com.
- Flight cancellations and exchanges
- Unused nonrefundable airline tickets
- Conference cancellations and reimbursement
- Cancellation fees
- Expense accruals