Expense Requests is Stanford's system for business and travel expense reporting including Travel Card (TCard) charges, requesting advances and non-PO payment requests and submitting petty cash account replenishments.
The Expense Requests System is used to:
- Submit expense reports to properly record business and travel-related expenses, and to request reimbursement for Stanford affiliates (faculty, staff, students, emeritus on payroll) – including reporting expenses purchased with a Stanford Travel Card (TCards). Refer to Topic Overview: Reimbursements and Expense Requests.
- Request reimbursement for Stanford business and travel expenses incurred by non-Stanford affiliates (individuals, companies or organizations not affiliated with the university or emeritus no longer on payroll). Refer to Topic Overview: Inviting and Paying Domestic Visitors and Topic Overview: Inviting and Paying Foreign Visitors.
- Request advances for travel expenses (when payment by Stanford Travel Card is not an option) or to provide funds for distribution to human subjects. Refer to Topic Overview: Advances.
- Request non-purchase order (non-PO) payments to pay for certain types of expenses that do not require a formal purchase order (PO), or for which negotiation by the Procurement Services department adds no value. Refer to Guidelines for Use of Non-PO Payment Categories.
- Request replenishment for a Petty Cash fund. Refer to Topic Overview: Life Cycle of a Petty Cash Fund.
If you require access to the Expense Requests system, you will need to:
- Have your school/department grant you "SU Expense Requests" authority privilege using the Authority Manager application. For help determining who can grant authority in your organization, refer to Topic Overview: View Financial Authority Assignments.
- Complete required training including any prerequisite courses not previously taken.
Travel Card verifiers and Petty Cash custodians require additional authority privileges which are granted during the application process by Financial Management Services.
Financial approvers do not need access to the Expense Requests system in order to review and approve or reject transactions submitted for their approval. Expense Requests system approvals are handled using Oracle Workflow Notifications. Refer to Topic Overview: Authority to Approve Financial Transactions and How-to: Approve, Request More Info or Reject an Expense Report, Advance or Non-PO Payment.
Courses for the Expense Requests system are available online, accessible on-demand via STARS. If you have previously completed courses including those listed as prerequisites, you do not need to re-take them unless specified.
Courses Required for Expense Requests System Access
Courses Required for New Travel Card (TCard) Verifiers
The course listed below applies to the person listed on the Travel Card application that will be responsible for verifying TCard transactions and originating expense reports.
Recommended Courses by Subject Area
The Expense Requests system supports a variety of business processes and different types of business and travel-related transactions. The following courses are recommended to users based on specific job roles and responsibilities. Complete courses required for Expense Requests system access prior to enrolling in any of the courses below.
- FIN-0503: Expense Reports for Reimbursing Visitors
- FIN-0501: Expense Reports for Foreign Expenses
- FIN-0502: Requesting and Clearing Advances
- FIN-0504: Non-PO Payment Requests
- FIN-0508: Paying Human Subjects
- FIN-0509: Supplier/Payee Setup
Courses Required for Approvers of Expense Requests System Transactions
Additional Courses Required for New Petty Cash Custodians
Upon completion of required training, the petty cash custodian will be granted access to the Petty Cash module within the Expense Requests system and the account will be funded. To ensure that custodians are up to date with petty cash requirements, a short annual recertification training is administered by the Office of the Treasurer via STARS to all petty cash custodians.
For training assistance (e.g., course enrollment, completions, training-related questions or training records), contact the Financial Management Services Training Specialist.
There are a number of resources available to help transaction preparers identify correct Expenditure Type codes. For more information, refer to Topic Overview: Find Existing Expenditure Type Codes.
Other helpful resources include:
Expense Requests and Stanford Credit Card Activity Reporting
Expense Requests system transaction detail reporting can be performed using the Oracle Business Intelligence OBI Expense Requests and SU Card Activity Dashboard>Home Tab. Use the dashboard to report on Expense Requests system transaction details (e.g., expense reports/reimbursements, Stanford Travel Card transactions, advances, non-PO payments and petty cash replenishments), historical iOU transactions and Stanford Purchasing Card transactions recorded in the PCard module of Oracle Financials.
For information about OBI, refer to OBI Financial Reporting.