Understanding purchase order (PO) requirements and the preferred methods for submitting invoices to Accounts Payable can help you avoid invoice processing delays.
Purchase Order Invoicing Requirements
The following criteria must be met in order for Accounts Payable to process an invoice and schedule payment per the terms specified on the purchase order (e.g. Net 30 days from date of invoice):
- The supplier record must be complete and up to date (including all government forms and confidential data provided by the supplier via Stanford’s Supplier and Payee Request Portal or Supplier and Payee Registry (according to supplier/payee type).
- The document must be an invoice, not a quote, order acknowledgement, sales receipt or packing list.
- Invoices must be addressed to Stanford University and include a remit to address.
- There must be a Stanford PO Number referenced on the invoice.
- The invoice amount must not exceed the available balance on the PO. Refer to How To: Release the Most Common Invoice Holds for more information.
- The PTA associated with the PO will be validated to ensure it is chargeable. Refer to How To: Release the Most Common Invoice Holds for more information.
- Invoices for amounts greater than $5,000 require departments to certify receipt of the goods or services.
Methods for Submitting Invoices to Accounts Payable
Ideally, suppliers submit invoices directly to Accounts Payable (AP). When suppliers send invoices to departments rather than to AP, the department must forward the invoice to AP using option 2 or 3 below.
|In Order of Preference||Instructions and Department Approval|
Ensure invoice meets Prompt Payment Requirements
Department uploads invoice (via the Requisition Purchase Order Query Tool)
Refer to How To: Upload an Invoice for more information.
|Refer to How To: Mail an Invoice to Accounts Payable for more information.
- Invoice images and payment status can be viewed using the Requisition and Purchase Orders Query tool. For instructions, refer to How To: View Requisitions, Purchase Orders or Invoices.
- Invoices for purchases made through Stanford's SmartMart Catalogs are electronically sent by the supplier to AP for payment processing.
- To request an invoice be placed on a department invoice hold, submit a Support Request with the PO number, invoice number and reason why the hold is requested. Refer to How To: Release the Most Common Invoice Holds for more information.
Purchases Requiring Receiving the Transaction in iProcurement
Certain purchases require departments complete a receiving transaction in iProcurement in order for invoices to be paid by AP. These purchases include:
- Capital equipment (via SmartMart or non-catalog orders)
- Goods or services over $5,000
For details on how to record receiving information, refer to How To: Receive Goods.
If an error in receiving needs clarification, refer to How To: Correct Receiving.