Tax Reminders and Resources
Whether it’s where to find tax documents or how to look up or change withholding allowances, below are commonly used resources you can refer to this year.
In addition to the following information, you may also review the overview of Annual Tax Form Distribution and the Cardinal at Work article describing the tax forms you may receive and where to learn more about each one.
Note: The 2022 due date for individuals filing their federal and CA tax returns for the 2021 tax year was extended to April 18 as April 15 falls on Good Friday and Passover as well as DC Emancipation Day, a regional government holiday observed in Washington, D.C. California taxpayers will also have to file by April 18.
W-2 Employee Wage and Tax Statement, Mailing Address and Reprints
Online W-2 Forms will be available in Axess by Saturday, Jan. 15. Note the second pay period in December (Dec. 16–31) is not included in your 2021 W-2 form because it will be included in your first paycheck of 2022, on Friday, Jan. 7.
Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), employers are required to report on Form W-2 the cost of coverage under an employer-sponsored group health plan. This item will be part of your 2021 W-2 Form, reported in Box 12DD. This amount is included for informational purposes only; it is not taxable.
- Current Employees: Online W-2 Forms will be available in Axess by Saturday, Jan. 15, 2022. They will be mailed by Monday, Jan. 31 to active employees who have not opted into online delivery using the address that was listed in StanfordYou as of Friday, Dec. 31, 2021.
- Former Employees: W-2s are mailed to all former employees and retirees who worked at Stanford in 2021 using the address that was listed in StanfordYou as of Friday, Dec. 31, 2021. To ensure W-2 Forms and other payroll information, benefits and checks are mailed to the correct address, former employees and retirees must contact their former supervisor or department HR administrator to update their mailing address in their personnel file. This will notify Payroll and their W-2 will be updated and mailed accordingly, as well as any other University mailings. To request a reprint once the address has been updated, retirees and former employees should contact the Financial Support Center for assistance.
W-4 Withholding Allowances for Paychecks
Paychecks issued for the 12/31/21 pay period (payday Friday, Jan 7, 2022) are the first for tax year 2022. Social Security and VDI taxes are withheld again for those employees who reached the maximum withholding in 2021. 2022 benefit deductions, including retirement contributions, also begin with this paycheck. You may update your federal and/or state income tax withholding allowances at any time by clicking View/Edit Withholdings from the Employee Center in Axess.
Please note: If you claimed exemption from federal and/or state income tax withholding for tax year 2021 and wish to continue for tax year 2022, you are required to file an updated W-4/DE-4 in Axess by Tuesday, Feb. 15, 2022.
- New federal and state withholding tax rates are in place for 2022. Review the Fingate resource page for the tax rates in effect for 2022.
- See How To: Declare Federal and State Income Tax Withholding (W-4/DE-4) via Stanford Axess for step-by-step instructions. If you are unable to use Stanford Axess, you can use the Withholding Allowance paper form.
Forms 1099 Inquiries and Schedule
Form 1099-NEC, Nonemployee Compensation, is a form that payers must file for nonemployees to report nonemployee compensation of at least $600 for services performed during the course of the year.
Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Information, is the form that payers must file for persons who are paid the following during the course of the year:
- At least $10 in royalties
- At least $600 or more in rents, prizes and awards, etc.
- Locate more info on annual tax forms including 1099s and the W-2 delivery schedule
CA Form 592-B Inquiries
Form 592-B, Resident and Nonresident Withholding Tax Statement, is a form that payers must file for persons who received a payment with California state tax withholding. Items of income that are subject to withholding include but are not limited to payments to independent contractors, recipients of rents, endorsement income, or royalties.
Form 1042 Reprints
The Form 1042-S is to report the tax withheld under chapter 3 on certain income of foreign persons, including nonresident aliens, foreign partnerships, foreign corporations, foreign estates, and foreign trusts. 1042-S tax forms are mailed by Tuesday, March 15, 2022.
Form 1095 Inquiries and Coverage
As part of the Affordable Care Act employer mandate, Stanford is required to notify eligible employees and the IRS of available medical coverage. This notification is called the IRS Form 1095.
If you want to ensure W-2 Forms and other payroll information, benefits and checks are mailed to the correct address, you can update your address.
If you have questions about the 1099 or other tax documents, please refer to the IRS website.
If you have additional questions or need help, please submit a support request to the Financial Support Center.