Here are the instructions for returning the funds for any personal expenses charged to the Travel Card.
Before You Start
Stanford Travel Cards are to be used for buying travel and travel-related services required for the conduct of University business. The Travel Card may not be used for any purchases restricted by the University or a sponsored project account or for personal expenses, other than necessary and incidental personal purchases incurred during the course of a business trip or event. Personal expenses charged to the TCard (Travel Card) should be paid back to Stanford University. Please follow the steps below to return funds for these personal expenses made on a Travel Card.
Personal expenses not paid back to Stanford University may be:
- Withheld from subsequent reimbursements to the payee
- Reported as personal income to the payee
Personal expenses accidentally charged to a PCard (Purchasing Card) should be paid directly to the correct PTAE by using CASHNET within the department.
Access Expense Requests
- Select SU Expense Requests
Create Expense Report with Associated Travel Card Charges
All expenses for a trip or that pertain to a single business purpose should be included in one expense report.
- Select all Stanford Travel Card transactions that should be applied to the Expense Report (including fully and partially personal charges)
- Select Next or Previous to view additional transactions if necessary
Indicate Personal Charges on a Travel Card
- Identify completely personal Travel Card transactions
- Select the checkbox for each fully personal transaction line
- Select the Categorize as Personal button above the line items
The fully personal transactions will be listed as personal expenses.
- Identify partially personal transactions
- Select Travel Card transaction and add to transaction lines
- Select Details for that line
- Select Itemize for the line with the personal charge
- Under Itemization 1-1, enter just the business portion of the charge as the amount
- Enter Remarks regarding the personal portion of the charge, and the non-business portion now shows as Personal Expenses
- Select Return to List and continue
Complete the Transaction
- Continue to add additional Expense Lines as needed, Expense Allocations, Approvers and Approval Notes
- Review the transaction carefully for completeness, accuracy and policy compliance.
Send Check or Money Order
- To pay the amount that you owe, mail a personal check or money order made out to Stanford University for the personal charges made on a Travel Card.
- Include a note with the check giving the related Expense Request number, and, if possible, attach the check to a printout of the Full View of the Expense Request.
Send the check to:
P.O. Box 20410
Stanford, CA 94309-0410
Do not scan the check and send the scanned image by email. Send the check via the U.S. Mail. Mail is checked daily.
- Use the drop box at Tresidder Union:
459 Lagunita Drive (near the parking area)
- Address the envelope to:
Stanford University Payment Services
485 Broadway Street
Redwood City, CA 94063
- Payment Services receives the check noting the Expense Request number and the credit will be applied to the Expense Request.
- For the status of the check with Payment Services, please submit a Support Request.