Petty cash custodians may reimburse Stanford employees up to $100 for out-of-pocket expenditures when they provide original, authorized and validated sales receipts and submit a completed Received of Petty Cash Form.
Reimburse an Employee with Petty Cash
Before You Start
Custodians distributing petty cash funds must understand and abide by the Petty Cash Fund Policy.
- Verify all required information on the Received of Petty Cash Form is complete
- Review original expenditure receipts attached to the completed Received of Petty Cash Form provided by the employee to verify the exact amount to reimburse
- Verify proper authorization is provided on the Received of Petty Cash Form
- Evaluate the request to ensure it complies with the Petty Cash Fund policy
- Enter the amount of the reimbursement on the Received of Petty Cash Form based on the exact amount of expenditures indicated on the original receipt(s) attached
Note: Transactions exceeding $100 should not be reimbursed with petty cash nor split into multiple transactions.
- Number the Received of Petty Cash receipt per your department numbering system
- Disburse cash to the employee from the petty cash lockbox in the amount of the reimbursement indicated on the Received of Petty Cash Form
- Ask the employee to sign the Received of Petty Cash Form, indicating that they received the fund
- Retain the Received of Petty Cash Form and original expenditure receipts for department records