Petty cash custodians may reimburse Stanford employees up to $100 for out-of-pocket expenditures when they provide original, authorized and validated sales receipts and submit a completed Received of Petty Cash Form.
Before You Start
Custodians distributing petty cash funds must understand and abide by the Petty Cash Fund Policy.
Have Employee Complete Received of Petty Cash Form
Review Receipts and Completed Form and Verify Request
- Verify all required information on the Received of Petty Cash Form is complete
- Review original expenditure receipts attached to the completed Received of Petty Cash Form provided by the employee to verify the exact amount to reimburse
- Verify proper authorization is provided on the Received of Petty Cash Form
- Evaluate the request to ensure it complies with the Petty Cash Fund policy
- Enter the amount of the reimbursement on the Received of Petty Cash Form based on the exact amount of expenditures indicated on the original receipt(s) attached
Note: Transactions exceeding $100 should not be reimbursed with petty cash nor split into multiple transactions.
- Number the Received of Petty Cash receipt per your department numbering system
- Disburse cash to the employee from the petty cash lockbox in the amount of the reimbursement indicated on the Received of Petty Cash Form
- Ask the employee to sign the Received of Petty Cash Form, indicating that they received the fund
- Retain the Received of Petty Cash Form and original expenditure receipts for department records