Checks received for a variety of transactions must be carefully inspected for accounting and tax purposes. Any oversight can have adverse repercussions on the processing of receipts.
Before You Start
Review How To: Process and Deposit Department Receipts for further depositing information.
Inspect Front and Back of Check
- The check should be made payable to Stanford University. If the check is not made payable to Stanford University, you must request a new check with Stanford included on the payee line of the check
- Checks should immediately be endorsed as noted, “For Deposit Only to Stanford University.” Include the appropriate project, fund and object code on the front of the check.
- To ensure appropriate segregation of duties, individuals who reconcile cash and check receipts should not be the same as those who receive and prepare them for deposit
- Review and confirm that all the following information be included on the check
- Current address
- Current date
- Amount in words and numbers
- Payer’s contact information