This process is for those who have approval authority over the PTAEs charged in a PCard transaction to review, approve or reject PCard verifications through Oracle Workflow Notifications.
Before You Start
- Utilize the PCard Transaction Approval Checklist to ensure compliance with university policies.
- Important Policy Reminders:
- PCard verifiers may not approve PCard transactions.
- PCard expenses should be verified and approved as soon as practicable after charges are incurred, but no later than 60 days after charges are incurred. After the designated PCard verifier has completed their action, a system-generated email notifies authorized approvers (for each PTAE charged to the PCard) that transactions are awaiting their review and approval. Failure to complete approvals within 60 days of transaction may result in card suspension and/or expenditures being reported as taxable income to the card user or cardholder. An approver may not be the cardholder, custodian or a verifier, and cannot report to the individual who made the purchase or be the beneficiary of the purchase/transaction. Consistent late verification and approval of charges may result in card suspension.
Log in to Oracle Workflow Notifications
- Go to ofweb.stanford.edu
- Enter SUNet ID and password
- Select SU Workflow Notifications
- Select Notifications
Notifications can also be received in email. The notification contains a link to the Notifications Worklist.
Find and Review PCard Transaction
- Select the PCard Transaction [X] Requires Approval link in the Subject column
Check for an "unusually high cost" warning in the Message section at the top of the page.
- Review transaction details and backup documentation. Approval should be granted only after:
- Review of any high cost warnings. Please provide written justification for high expense cost (if applicable) or in cases using a sponsored account for grants that allow these types of charges (e.g., memberships and sometimes alcohol) must be explained in Business Purpose or Allocation Reason;
- Ensure appropriate documentation of charge
- Proper documentation matches the charge in this transaction (include invoice rather than just order confirmation).
- Review receipts for charges of $75 or more (varies by department). If a receipt is missing, the approver must follow up with the cardholder or custodian to understand why the receipt is missing and verify that good/services were received;
- Confirmation that the expenditure is reasonable, necessary and complies with all relevant university policies;
- Verification that the charges are correct (match receipts):
- Allowable and properly coded to appropriate PTAE. Confirm funds are available in the account being charged.
- If applicable, ensure proper sales or use tax has been recorded
Approve or Reject the PCard Verification
- Select the Approve button once the transaction has been reviewed and satisfies the review criteria
If the approved transaction has unusually high cost, it may be escalated for final approval.
Selecting Approve returns the screen to the Notifications Worklist.
- Enter an explanation in the Response Comment box at the bottom of the notification, including criteria by which the transaction could be approved if modified and resubmitted
- Select the Return button to return the verification to the originator for resolution
Selecting Return returns the screen to the Notifications Worklist.
Complete Additional PCard Transaction Reviews
- Select the appropriate link to review another transaction
- Select Logout at the top if finished
- If an approved transaction has an unusually high cost, it may be escalated for final approval.
- After approval, the department's charge account specified during verification is debited.
- Stanford's Accounts Payable department pays the consolidated bank invoice.
- Approvers may monitor PCard activities using the OBI Expense Requests and SU Card Activity Dashboard. There are two reports of interest; Credit Card Transactions aging-PCard section shows just PCard charges that have been made but not fully processed and approved while Credit Card Transactions-PCard section shows all credit card transactions. Retain hard copy receipts until the receipts have uploaded successfully and payment processing is confirmed as complete. For more information, refer to the Administrative Guide Policy 3.1.5: Retention of Financial Records.