Invoices must meet certain criteria in order for Stanford University Accounts Payable (AP) to process an invoice and schedule payment per the terms specified on the purchase order (e.g., Net 30 days from date of invoice). For information on invoice criteria, refer to Topic Overview: Purchase Order Invoice Processing. If invoices do not meet the criteria or if the purchase order (PO) details do not match the invoice details, the invoice may be placed on hold within the Oracle system.
There are three major reasons why an invoice may be placed on hold within the Oracle system. Identify one and follow the suggested ways to release the common invoice holds.
- Invoice holds due to insufficient amount on purchase order or variance between invoice and shipment amount exceeds limit
- Invoice holds due to closed PTA
- Invoice holds resulting in past due invoice
Before You Start
- Identify a reason listed above.
Identify Cause and Act to Release the Hold
When processing an invoice, AP matches the invoice to the PO and to the Project-Task-Award (PTA) being charged. The PTA is subject to validations to ensure that the PTA is active, within specified date ranges and is therefore "chargeable." To understand the validations and department responsibilities, please refer to Resource: Understanding PTA Status and End Date Validations for Invoice Processing.
Stanford University's standard PO terms are Net 30, unless approved otherwise, and invoices are paid based on the approved PO terms. Invoices will be paid by the 30th day after the invoice date. If an invoice has not been paid according to the terms, it may be a result of one or more reasons below:
|Invoice does not meet Stanford requirements|
|Wire information for the payment has changed|
|Remit To address for the payment has changed||
Note: Changing the address on the invoice is insufficient.
|Invoices are mailed and delayed in process||
|Duplicate invoices in the system — both invoices applied to the PO and result in insufficient funds||
|Duplicate invoices in the system — a new invoice is required for payment||
|Invoice was received and/or uploaded after the payment due date
(Adding the invoice to the Purchase Order may take a few days and delay payment until after payment is due)
- If a hold does not list on this page or if there are questions, please submit a Support Request to the Financial Support Center.
- Use the Requisition and Purchase Orders Query tool in Oracle to determine:
- PO total amount and line item amount(s)
- Total amounts invoiced against PO
- The assigned Buyer
- To access this query, launch Oracle and open SU Inquiry Tools and Forms.
- Submit a Support Request to the Financial Support Center.