local_library Resource

Examples of Updated Form I-9

Accurate updating of the Form I-9 is a key component of compliance. A continuing Stanford employee with expiring work authorization documents must be re-verified when new documents are received, and before the existing documents expire.

The following examples illustrate properly updated Form I-9s for commonly presented document types. Please submit a printed copy of Supplement B, containing the employee ID with the Employee Info and Reverification section completed. This is not a complete list of documents. Contact the I-9 Compliance Specialist if you need assistance completing the form by submitting a support request.

I-9 Examples Based on Document Type Used to Substantiate Continued Work:

Updated employment authorization documents must be presented by the employee for I-9 reverification prior to the expiration of the current documents or employment must cease. US passports, Permanent Resident cards, List B identity documents; and List C documents without expiration dates do not need reverification.

In some cases, those applying for the extension of the current status or replacement of a lost document may submit documents for temporary work authorization while their application is pending, as long as it was filed in time.

Examples of these extensions are as follows:

  • H-1B and O-1 change of employer or extension pending: I-797C receipt notice for 240-day validity.
  • Most EAD categories must have the card in hand for use as work authorization. However, certain limited EAD card categories may extend with an I-797C receipt notice for 180-day validity. Refer to the list of eligible categories for details.
  • Permanent Resident card (green card) extension pending: I-551 stamp in passport or I-797C receipt notice for I-751 filing for one-year validity.
  • Any acceptable document that is lost or stolen: Receipt for application to replace a lost or stolen document for 90-day validity.

    This extension does not apply to expired documents or original documents that were never received.

Individuals moving from one visa status to another, such as an F-1 OPT or F-1 STEM OPT student moving to H1-B status, must have received the newly approved visa or status documentation before expiration of their current visa.

Last Updated: Dec 17, 2023


Back to Top