Stanford's Administrative Guide contains the University time and leave policies for regular staff employees. The content of each Guide memo, relevant to the time and leave policy, is summarized below. Employees should consult with their supervisor if they have time and leave policy questions.
Bargaining Unit employees should refer to the applicable agreement or consult with their supervisor.
In the Administrative Guide Policy 2.1.5: Compensation of Staff Employees, the compensation and recordkeeping policies, including information on work week standards, alternate work weeks and hours, make-up time and rest and lunch periods are explained. Employee requirements for recording time and leave and policies related to overtime compensation and other special compensation situations are also included. Refer to Axess Timecard Pay Rules for a summary of how compensation policies are administered in Axess Timecard.
Vacation accrual rates, maximum accumulation of vacation accruals and policies on scheduling of vacation are included in Administrative Guide Policy 2.1.6: Vacations. Also included is the policy on terminal vacation for employees who are retiring or being permanently laid off. Refer to Axess Timecard Leave Accrual Rates for a summary of how leave accrual policies are administered in Axess Timecard.
When an employee’s vacation balance is greater than 93% of their maximum balance, a vacation maximum notification will appear under the My Action Items section of their My Axess page. For example, this would occur for a full-time exempt or non-exempt employee that has reached 223 hours of accrued vacation.
Sick leave accrual rates, maximum accumulation of sick accruals and policies on use of sick leave are included in this guide memo. Also included are the policies on applying for disability benefits and on the use of sick leave to maintain pay during disability.
- Administrative Guide Policy 2.1.7: Sick Time for Regular Staff Employees, Regular Academic Staff-Research and Regular Academic Staff-Professional Librarians
- Administrative Guide Policy 2.1.21: Sick Time for Temporary and Casual Staff Employees
- Administrative Guide Policy 10.3.1: Sick Time for Student Hourly Employees
View Administrative Guide Policy 2.1.8: Miscellaneous Authorized Absences for other authorized absences (with and without pay), such as:
- Jury duty
- Court appearances
- Personal time off (PTO)
- Bereavement leave (for a close family member or to attend a funeral or memorial service)
- Military training
- Organ donor leave
View Administrative Guide Policy 2.1.13: Paid Holidays for information on paid holidays, such as:
- Details on eligibility for exempt and non-exempt employee
- Designated days that are paid holidays for the current year, winter closure information
- Floating holiday
- Information if an employee is required to work on a holiday
- When a holiday occurs when the employee is on leave