In accordance with the 2022-23 winter closure schedule, Stanford University will be officially closed for regular business from Wednesday, Dec. 21 through Tuesday, Jan. 3, 2023. Normal business hours will resume Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2023.
Time Reporting & Payroll Administration Guidance
Payroll will be open through the close of business Tuesday, Dec. 20 and then will be closed through the remainder of winter closure. Payroll will close from Wednesday, Dec. 21, 2022, and reopen on Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2023. For more guidance, see the Time Reporting & Payroll Administration section below.
Important cutoff schedules and specific payment deadlines (including reimbursements, advances, non-PO payments, petty cash, and invoice payments) are available in the Payment Deadlines section below.
Purchasing & Delivery Instructions
For specific ordering and delivery instructions, review the Purchasing & Delivery Instructions section below.
Deposits and Cash Management
Department cash and check deposits to be processed in the 2022 calendar year must be:
- Deposited through the Wells Fargo Mobile App, or at any Wells Fargo branch no later than end of business day (5 p.m. PT), Monday, Dec. 19, 2022.
- Received by mail to the General Lockbox no later than end of business day (5 p.m. PT), Thursday, Dec. 15, 2022.
- Recorded by sending all backup documentation to @email no later than end of business day (5 p.m. PT), Monday, Dec. 19, 2022 to allow sufficient time for processing prior to the winter close. Deposits made after Dec. 20, 2022 will be processed after Jan. 3, 2023.
See the Cash and Check Deposit Enhancements news page for more information on changes to the current cash and check deposit process.
PCard and TCard Guidance
If you are a cardholder or custodian of a Purchasing Card (PCard) or Travel Card (TCard), please review the tips on protecting your card from fraud over winter closure.
OBI Financial Reporting
The Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) daily builds will not occur during winter closure, as in past years. The last OBI Financial Reporting, CMS, and FFIT data refresh before winter close will be Wednesday, Dec. 21, 2022 (reflecting data as of Dec. 20). The builds will resume as normal on Monday evening, Jan. 2, 2023, and data will be up to date on Wednesday, Jan. 4 (reflecting data as of Jan. 3).
Services & Support During Winter Closure
Financial Systems Support, including the Financial Support Center, will be officially closed Wednesday, Dec. 21, 2022, and will reopen Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2023. All production and infrastructure applications will continue to be available during this time, and limited staff will be available to monitor systems and ensure that critical applications and services remain running. To report a service outage or other emergency, call 650-725-HELP (5-4357) or submit a support request. A small number of staff will be on hand to support emergency requests and will respond as soon as possible. Non-emergency messages will be addressed beginning Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2023.
Although officially closed, some departments will be available to respond to emergency needs during winter closure, with the exception of weekends and official holidays.
If you have an emergency need, please leave a concise message and your call will be returned within 24 hours, except as noted above.
Create an emergency support request for the Financial Support Center
|Office of the Treasurer||The Office of the Treasurer will maintain core banking activities in a limited capacity beginning Wednesday, Dec. 21, 2022 and continuing through Tuesday, Jan. 3, 2023. Please submit a support request if you have an urgent issue or questions during this time.|
Payroll will close from Wednesday, Dec. 21, 2022, and reopen on Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2023. Emergency support will be provided during this period and should be directed to Payroll by submitting a support request.
University Bill Payments
Contact Student Services Center, 866-993-7772
Emergency Help & Service Outages
Contact Stanford Services & Support, 650-725-HELP (4357)
Axess Timecard entries for the first pay period in December (Dec. 1-15) should be approved by 12 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 16, 2022. Supervisors should be especially careful when approving Axess Timecard entries for the Dec. 1-15 pay period to minimize any pay corrections that may need to be facilitated by your department, as payday falls within the winter closure. All requests for missing pay must be submitted in PeopleSoft using the Off-Cycle Check Webform and must have the appropriate department approvals. Please submit a support request to Payroll for questions regarding pay corrections. Payroll will accept requests for missing pay through the close of business on Monday, Dec. 19.
Employees must complete Axess Timecard entries for the Dec. 16-31 period prior to winter closure. The approval deadline is 9 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 2, 2023.
Reporting Time in Axess Timecard
Designated Stanford holidays are Friday, Dec. 23 and Monday, Dec. 26. The university will provide three additional days off with pay. Specified departments that do not fully close during winter closure will be eligible to apply "Additional Day Off" hours in January 2023.
Employees may use the following options for covering the remaining closure dates:
- Floating holiday for 2022
- Personal time off (PTO) for 2022
- Accrued vacation time
- Time off borrowed from December 2022 vacation accrual, which is normally not available for use until Jan. 1 (up to one month's accrual is permitted)
- Time off borrowed from 2023 PTO accrual (up to 24 hours for a full-time employee)
- Time off borrowed from 2023 floating holiday accrual (up to 16 hours for a full-time employee)
- Leave without pay
Use of sick time is not permitted during this period, except for those on approved short-term disability leave filed with AbsenceOne. Time off should be tracked in Axess Timecard as follows:
Holidays (Dec. 23 and Dec. 26)
- Exempt Staff: Leave the designated university holiday dates blank when entering leave.
- Non-exempt Staff and Bargaining Unit: Will be granted holiday hours when they "Apply Schedule" for the pay period. Employees who do not have a pre-populated schedule may enter the appropriate number of holiday hours on each holiday, or they will see holiday hours populated on their timecards on Dec. 5.
- Non-exempt Part-time Staff: Will be granted holiday hours based on a pre-formulated system calculation when they "Apply Schedule" for the pay period. Employees who do not have a pre-populated schedule may enter the appropriate number of holiday hours on each holiday, or they will see holiday hours populated on their timecards on Dec. 5.
Winter Closure: Reporting Additional Days Off With Pay
To allow for usage tracking of the additional days with pay related to winter closure, each employee will have 24 Additional Day Off hours granted to them on Monday, Dec. 5, and part-time employees will prorated amounts based on their Standard Hours (FTE). The Additional Day Off time reporting code will be available to employees to allow recording of the three additional days with pay.
On your timecard, enter vacation hours you would enter other leave hours:
- Exempt Staff: Enter up to eight (8) hours for each additional day with pay.
- Non-exempt Staff and Bargaining Unit: Enter up to eight (8) hours, equivalent to their normal schedule for the day, for each additional day with pay.
The Additional Day Off time reporting code will remain available until Tuesday, Jan. 31, 2023, for use by those employees who were required by their business unit to work during the winter closure and thus were authorized to take alternate days off by the end of January. Managers and timecard administrators will need to ensure that only those employees who are eligible to use additional day off hours past winter closure do so.
Time Off Borrowed from 2023 PTO, Floating Holiday Accrual, and December 2022 Vacation Accrual
Enter as you normally do:
- Axess Timecard has been programmed to allow overdrafts for December only.
- Employees who have a negative leave balance because of borrowed time will have the difference subtracted, either from:
- Vacation from their December 2022 grant
- Floating holiday and PTO from January 2023 grants
Please note: Employees on terminal vacation are not eligible for holiday pay, the additional days off with pay, or leave borrowing. Available leave hours should be used to continue pay for all winter closure days.
Reminders Related to Borrowing Time
- Vacation must be used before borrowing 2023 leave accruals.
Employees who have available vacation balances must use vacation to cover days off during winter closure before borrowing their 2023 PTO or floating holiday.
- Borrowing 2023 PTO and floating holiday:
Full time employees are allowed to borrow up to 24 hours of PTO and 16 hours of floating holiday. Please verify that part time employees do not borrow PTO or floating holiday in excess of the amount that they will be granted on Jan. 1. Employees who borrow more time than they are granted will have their vacation balance reduced until the overdraft is recovered.
- Borrowing not allowed for work days prior to winter closure.
- Borrowing will be enabled beginning on Monday, Dec. 5 to allow employees to enter their leave for the winter closure in advance. Borrowed hours must not be used to cover time that would otherwise be unpaid prior to the start of winter closure on Wednesday, Dec. 21.
- As much as possible, borrowing should be entered before the close of the Dec. 16-31 pay period. Supervisors and TLAs should avoid entering borrowing via Adjust Paid Time to avoid accrual errors in 2023.
You will receive your pay for the Dec. 1-15 pay period one day early; payday is Wednesday, Dec. 21. Direct deposits will post into bank accounts on Wednesday, Dec. 21 by 5 p.m. Online pay statements will be available in Axess for all employees (including those who receive live paychecks), on Monday, Dec. 19. The Dec. 1-15 pay period is the last pay period of tax year 2022. Employees are encouraged to review their online pay statement for accuracy by Monday, Dec. 19.
Employees Who Receive a Live Paycheck:
We will be mailing all live checks to the employee’s mailing address on file. Payroll will not be able to reissue any live check not received for the Dec. 1-15 pay period until after winter closure. As always, we encourage you to enroll for direct deposit instead of receiving a live check to guarantee that your pay will post to your bank account on payday. Stop payment requests received after the close of business on Monday, Dec. 19 will be processed after winter closure.
Payroll Administration During Winter Closure
Payroll will be on call to address critical pay issues during winter closure. An example of a critical pay issue would be an involuntary termination of an employee scheduled to work during winter closure. These issues should be directed to Payroll by submitting a support request.
Voluntary terminations must be effective on a regular day of work, so therefore must be on a day that the employee is reporting to work either before or after winter closure, unless the employee is one that is required to work during the winter closure period due to a critical business function that has been approved by the dean, vice president, or vice provost of the business unit. Be aware that Wednesday, Dec. 14 is the deadline to submit webforms for terminations effective Saturday, Dec. 17, 2022 through Tuesday, Jan. 3, 2023 to allow Payroll to handle pay for the Dec. 16-31 pay period appropriately for terminating employees.
Questions? Need Help?
For questions or help with your timecard, please contact your local HR Manager or HR Administrator.
Important Cut-off Schedules and Deadlines
- Expense Requests Transactions: Expense Reports, Advances, Non-PO Payments, and Petty Cash Payments
- The deadline for approving and submitting expense requests transactions is Tuesday, Dec. 6 at 5 p.m.
- Note that the deadline is on a Tuesday this year because it is two weeks before the start of winter closure.
- The cutoff for approving and submitting expense requests transactions with rush priority or will call pickup is Friday, Dec. 9 at 5 p.m.
- The deadline for approving and submitting expense requests transactions is Tuesday, Dec. 6 at 5 p.m.
- Invoice Payments
- The deadline for submitting invoice payment requests is Friday, Dec. 2 at 5 p.m., to process the invoice before winter closure.
- Every effort will be made to process items received after Friday, Dec. 2, but there are no guarantees.
- Rush invoice requests must be labeled as "rush" on the invoice and must be uploaded to an approved purchase order. Rush invoice processing times are one to two business days, and rush invoices can be requested for a $35 fee.
- The cutoff for submitting invoices with rush priority or will call pick up is Monday, Dec. 12.
- Payment Handling Methods and Processing Times are available to help you approximate the turnaround time for your transactions.
- Will Call Checks
- Effective Sept. 1, 2021, the main campus Will Call location at Tresidder is permanently closed. Accounts Payable will call checks may be picked up at the Stanford Redwood City campus by appointment only. Please submit a support request to the Financial Support Center for any needed assistance. For more information, see How To: Request Rush and Will Call Payments.
- Redwood City Campus Will Call:
- University Hall
485 Broadway Street
Redwood City, CA 94063-3136
- Pickup hours: Appointment only
- Last will call payment will be available Tuesday, Dec. 20, 2022. The Will Call email will be sent by 2 p.m., with pickup from 2:15 p.m. to 4 p.m. (by appointment only).
- University Hall
- Important: When the will call check is ready for pickup, a “Redwood City Will Call Check(s)” email will be sent to the requester listed on the transaction to arrange a pickup date and time. The building entry to University Hall in Redwood City is limited. Payment Services staff will greet you at the front entry (lobby) of University Hall to disburse the check. Please arrive at the appointed time and bring a copy of the email and a photo ID.
- Any will call checks not picked up by the times specified in the Payments Services Will Call location on Tuesday, Dec. 20 will be held by Payment Services. Payment Services will coordinate with the requestor if the check needs to be mailed out upon return from winter closure on Wednesday, Jan. 4.
- Wire Transfers (A/P and Expense Reports)
- Invoices must be approved and validated in Oracle Accounts Payable and “Ready for Payment” by 3 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 19 for payment on Tuesday, Dec. 20.
- For rush wire requests for same day processing, invoices must be approved and validated in Oracle Accounts Payable and “Ready for Payment” by 11 a.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 20.
- Anyone who submits an employee reimbursement that is over the 60-day limit must pay taxes on the amount being reimbursed. The 60-day limit includes the two weeks during winter closure and does not provide exception days for the holiday.
Questions? Need Help?
If you have questions or need help prior to winter closure, please contact the Financial Support Center.
For Stanford Purchasers and Approvers
- Financial approvers should ensure they select delegatees to act on their behalf if an emergency transaction requires approval during winter close.
- Contracts that require signatures before winter closure must be submitted in SmartMart Contracts following the "Rush" procedure detailed in Fingate.
- Requisitions that do not require a contract must be received by Tuesday, Dec. 13, 2022 to be properly reviewed by Purchasing to be processed before winter closure.
- Purchasing and Contracts will make every effort to finalize all purchase orders and contracts by Tuesday, Dec. 20, 2022.
Standard Purchase Orders
For a requisition over $25,000 that requires approval from a buyer, please make sure that the need-by date is a realistic delivery date and that you can sign for and accept the delivery. Some orders may need to be delayed for shipment to avoid receiving between Wednesday, Dec. 21, 2022 and Tuesday, Jan. 3, 2023. If you plan to be available during winter closure for deliveries, you must work directly with your building administrator and the supplier to arrange this, as all purchase orders will instruct suppliers otherwise. SmartMart and Amazon will be available for ordering during this period.
Stanford University will be closed for winter break from Wednesday, Dec. 21, 2022 through Tuesday, Jan. 3, 2023. The university will reopen on Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2023.
University staff will not be on campus to receive deliveries during winter closure unless specific arrangements have been made with the ordering department to receive the shipment. If you have a December delivery commitment that you are unable to deliver by Tuesday, Dec. 20, 2022, please schedule your shipment to arrive as soon as possible on or after Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2023.
Questions? Need Help?
For unexpected requests that do not fit within these guidelines and require immediate response, please submit an emergency support request for the Financial Support Center.