Stanford upgraded its version of Oracle Business Intelligence on April 19. The upgrade has little to no impact on the current user experience but provides the technology base to release future improvements.
Why OBI Is Being Upgraded
- Oracle will stop supporting the current version in 2022
- Back-end technology improvements that will enable new functionality in the future
There are a few known issues reported by users. We have outlined them below, along with status and steps users can take to resolve them until a permanent fix is available. The technical team is working internally and with Oracle Support to fix these issues. We will update the status as soon as possible.
- Sign In window (blank page) appears while running reports: If you see an "ODBC Driver Returned an Error'' message when running reports, we recommend you clear your cache and try again. Refer to the UIT Cardinal Key FAQs if you need to reinstall Cardinal Key. The technical team is working with Oracle Support on this high priority issue.
- Oracle ODBC Driver Returned an Error - If you see an "ODBC Driver Returned an Error'' message when running reports, we recommend you clear your cache and try again. Refer to the UIT Cardinal Key FAQs if you need to reinstall Cardinal Key.
- Access Denied or Unable to find or navigate OBI Financial Reports: Some users may experience issues accessing, finding, or navigating OBI Financial Reports. This issue seems to impact users that were granted OBI Financial Reporting authority starting in March 2021. If you experience the issue, please submit a support request.
- Error generating document when downloading Dashboard Reports: There is an issue with the RFM SU Fund Statement Summary Section for all View By choices. “Error generating document” occurs when downloading Formatted: PDF/Excel/Powerpoint/Web Archive. However, we have noted some cases where this error persists for RFM SU Fund Statement Summary Saved Customizations. If you experience the issue, please submit a support request.
- Impact to Saved Customizations: We request that you review your Saved Customizations in the new OBI version. Review instructions below.
The upgrade provides the technology base for future improvements and will have minimal impact on the current user experience. The minor user interface differences coming soon are outlined below.
- Home page search removed. Use Catalog search instead (same search as the Home page)
- Catalog search now looks for each term entered, increasing the number of results returned. You can narrow the results by using specific search terms and avoiding general terms such as ‘dashboard’
- “New” menu renamed as “Create”
- “My Profile” button no longer shows user name
- Loading indicator removed (moving blue bands that showed report was still pulling data). This should return in a future release
- New download option of Data-Excel fails sometimes (instead use Data-CSV or Formatted-Excel
- Some saved customizations may not update the results when new selection criteria are applied. If you have Saved Customizations refer to Impact to Save Customizations section below.
Impact to Saved Customizations
There is an issue affecting a limited number of Saved Customizations once they are migrated to the new OBI version. We request that you review your Saved Customizations in the new OBI version. If you see the behavior described below, take the steps listed in the What You Can Do section. We apologize for the inconvenience.
When you change the prompt values (most commonly, the GL Period Name) and click Apply, the results in some reports will not update. They continue to display the results for the previously saved prompt values.
What You Can Do
Run the Saved Customization, which will produce the original but now frozen report, and use it as a model to re-create a new version from scratch. Review the How To: Manage OBI Customizations for step-by-step instructions.
- Apply Saved Customization
- Save Current Customization
- Edit Saved Customizations to Update Default Saved Customization
- Delete Saved Customizations.