The Labor Schedules Enhancement launched February 18, 2021. The enhancement brings a custom front-end for the Labor Schedules module, sitting in front of the Oracle application. This is done using Oracle Apex technology, as has been used with PTA Manager, SeRA, FFIT, and numerous other applications successfully deployed at Stanford over the last ten-plus years. Campus users will no longer interact with core Oracle forms, the Java applet, or the Labor Schedules module of Oracle at all, but will instead work within the Stanford-specific Labor Schedules interface. By developing a custom front-end for the application, we have the ability to provide a significantly improved user experience, and more robust functionality for users to get data into the system accurately and efficiently. Examples of this include the ability to create distinct Labor Schedules for different types of earnings as well as performing mass updates.
- Labor Schedule End Dates – Labor Schedule end dates may be entered beyond the end date of a PTA. There are also improved Warning and Error messages. When a warning message is displayed, you may proceed to submit the changes. When an error message is displayed, follow the instructions provided.
- PTAE Auto-Population – When the Project number is associated with one Task and one Award, the Task and Award will populate after entering the Project number. Also, the Expenditure Type field will populate with the respective salary or pay code expenditure type. The salary cap Expenditure Type 51190 can be selected from the drop-down if needed.
- LD Approver List – The LD Approver picklist displays the individuals listed as LD Approver for the Task Owning Org (as per Authority Manager). You may select the appropriate person to notify of the labor schedule changes.
Bulk Upload for Pay Codes - For those utilizing the optional Pay Code Labor Schedule functionality, the Pay Codes listed below can now be used in the bulk upload template to create Pay Code schedules more efficiently:
- Housing (HAS, HAP, HCE, HCG)
- Supplemental Pay (SUP)
- Revised FYI list in Bulk Upload – The Bulk Upload Review and Submit page displays a summarized list of PTAs in the FYI section.
- Select All Checkbox – A "select all" checkbox is available in the Individual Create/Update page. Allows you to select/unselect all lines at once if needed.
- End Date Button – An End Date button is available in the Individual Create/Update page. Allows you to place an End Date on the selected lines at once.
A salary and non-salary view role have been created to access the new Labor Schedule system. Current system authorities will be carried over so there will be no action required from current users. Users with existing authority to Labor Schedules and Labor Distribution Adjustments will receive Salary View. Users with only Labor Schedule authority will receive Non-Salary View
|If your LD Org Authority is:||You will automatically receive:|
|SU LD Labor Scheduler Update||
SU Labor Scheduler Non-Salary View: Users will not have access to salary information and do not have access to the new Salary Cap Calculation Tool.
SU LD Labor Schedule Update
SU LD Distribution Adjuster
SU Labor Scheduler Salary View: Users can view employee salary information and have access to the new Salary Cap Calculation Tool. Note, There will be no change to SU LD Distribution Adjuster authority.
Displays the number of job assignments missing a labor schedule for the current pay period or where labor schedules are under 100%. Drill-down to navigate to an employee's labor schedule record.
To create or update a single employee's labor schedule record. This includes a new option to create Pay Code Labor Schedules, where certain types of earnings such as supplemental pay can have distinct charging instructions indicated, separate from an employee’s base earnings.
Salary Cap Integration
The Individual Create/Update page also includes the new Salary Cap Integration, which allows users to use calculation templates for salary cap entries and automatically load to an employee's labor schedule record.
To create or update a labor schedule for more than one employee at a time or a bulk upload.
Allows users to assign the preferred default landing page or manage settings for FYI notifications.
To support Labor Schedule users, the resources on Fingate have been updated with further details on the enhancement. There are Labor Schedules Task Demonstrations, How To instructions and more available from the new Labor Schedules system page.
Looking to refresh your knowledge of Labor Schedule basics? Enroll in the updated FIN-0510 Labor Schedules course on STARS. This self-paced course will take approximately 30 minutes to complete and is not required for current users to access the Labor Schedule system.
Office Hour: Live Demo and Q&A
February 12: Pre-Launch Office Hour
February 24: Post-Launch Office Hour
Sign up for an Open Lab, which offers one on one support sessions via Zoom.
Stanford Services & Support: For Labor Schedule reporting questions and information, please submit a support request.
Stanford Services & Support: For Labor Schedule system questions and information, please submit a support request.
FMS works closely with clients to continuously improve its products and services to efficiently manage the financial ecosystem while also maintaining the highest standards of compliance. According to the FMS 2018 client satisfaction survey, the Labor Schedules user experience in Oracle was a major area of concern. Additionally, last spring FMS interviewed multiple business units for insight into changes they recommend and features they would like to see. Their feedback included responses around an outdated user interface and an inefficient system process. Therefore, FMS proposed and was granted approval for a project to build a new front end (user interface) for Labor Schedules.
This enhancement vastly improves the user experience and offers new functionality. FMS partnered with UIT to develop the enhancement and engaged users from many different business areas to test the functionality. These users have had many positive things to say about the new system with one user stating they wish it had, "been available this past summer when we went through a reorganization wherein the Mass Create/Update would have been very helpful." Another user commented, "I like that it's easier to search and find people--right now you really need to have the ID numbers. This system appears to make it easier to find with just the employee's name."
- Significantly Improve User Experience – Build a custom front-end for the Labor Schedules module that sits in front of the Oracle application using Oracle Apex technology.
- More Robust Functionality – The improved design allows for more accurate and efficient data management.
The project team started planning and developing the enhancement in 2019 with a planned go-live in early 2021.
- Jamie Lutton, Financial Systems & Reporting
- Mariluz Cubillos, Project Manager, Service Strategy Operations
- Jason Taloma, Business Owner, Financial Systems & Reporting
- Andrea Perez, Implementation Lead, Business Strategy & Services
- Brady Cole, Change Management, Business Strategy & Services
- Joe Hinman, Change Management, Organizational Effectiveness
- Ashish Kulkarni, ET Technical Manager, Enterprise Technology
- Srinivas Mikkilineni, ET QA, Enterprise Technology
- Rubi Paredes, Subject Matter Expert, Financial Systems & Reporting
- Reyna Rojas, Business Analyst, Business Strategy & Services
- Mazhar Farooqui, ET Development, Enterprise Technology
- Ramani Raman, ET DBA, Enterprise Technology