The page describes the steps to follow to return unused advance funds.
Return Unused Advance Funds
Before You Start
This How To instruction assumes that the preparer understands the process for requesting and clearing an advance. Advance expenses that are not applied via an expense report and not paid back to Stanford University may be:
- Withheld from subsequent reimbursements to the payee
- Reported as personal income to the payee
Refer to Administrative Guide 5.4.1 Expense Advances.
Personal expenses accidentally charged to a PCard (Purchasing Card) should be paid directly to the correct PTAE by the department and do not need to be sent to Financial Management Services.
- Select SU Expense Requests
- Search for the original Advance in Expense Requests
- Print Full VIew of Advance to attach to check
- Create Expense Report for individual who requested Advance. As needed, refer to How To: Create Expense Report for SU Payees, steps 1-9.The Advance step will appear in the workflow train if the payee has an advance waiting to be applied to an expense report
- Apply Partial Advance to the Expense Report. As needed, refer to How To: Create Expense Report for SU Payee, step 10.
- Find/Enter the Advance Number
- Enter the amount to be cleared by this transaction (less than the total of the Advance)
- Select Next
- Complete the transaction. As needed, refer to How To: Create Expense Report for SU Payee.
- Continue to add additional Expense Lines as needed, Expense Allocations, Approvers and Notes to approver
- Review the transaction carefully for completeness, accuracy and policy compliance
- Attach backup documentation and receipts
- Review and Submit expense report
- Write the Advance Request Transaction number on the check
- Attach the check to a printout of the Full View of the Advance request
To return partial amount of Advance:
- Write the Advance Request Transaction number and the Expense Report Transaction Number on the check
- Attach the check to a printout of the Full View of the Clearing Expense Report
- To pay the amount that you owe, mail a personal check or money order made out to Stanford University for the remaining advance funds.
Send it to:
P.O. Box 20410
Stanford, CA 94309-0410
Do not scan the check and send the scanned image by email. Send the check via the U.S. Mail. Mail is checked daily.
- Payment Services will clear the outstanding advance.
- For the status of the check with Payment Services, please submit a Support Request.