Before assuming responsibility for a petty cash fund, custodians must be certified.
To ensure that custodians are up to date with their petty cash requirements and that the Office of the Treasurer (OOT) is current with its fiduciary oversight, a short, annual recertification administered on STARS is required of each petty cash custodian.
Get Certified as a Petty Cash Custodian
Before You Start
Review the Policy: Petty Cash Fund
The custodian uses the Expense Requests system to replenish the petty cash fund.
- Complete the required FIN-0500: Introduction to the Expense Requests System training class
Ask your manager to grant you the “Financial System>Self Service>SU Expense Requests” privilege in Authority Manager [link to System learn about page] to be able to access Expense Requests. You will not have access to the Petty Cash module yet.
- Complete FIN-PROG-0506: Petty Cash Administration Certification
- Department head submits a Support Request
- Select Open a Petty Cash Fund or Change a Petty Cash Custodian, depending on the need
- Complete the information requested in the Support Request
- Select Submit
- Following certification and approval by the OOT of a department head’s request for a new petty cash fund (if applicable), the OOT grants the certified custodian access to the Petty Cash module in Expense Requests.
- The certified custodian can administer the petty cash fund.